When you’re uploading photos into your FOREVER Account, we will ensure that you don’t upload two or more of the same photo. We hope that you’re as excited as we are! De-dupe will maximize your storage space and make uploading and organizing photos easier than ever!
Here’s the important info:
- FOREVER will identify exact duplicates during the photo upload process and prevent them from being uploaded. This will save time and storage space!
- When an exact duplicate is detected and prevented from uploading, it will be clearly labeled in the uploader. You can even click on the notification to view the original photo in your Account!
- While the de-duplication default setting is “ON,” you may turn it “OFF” at any time to allow duplicates to be uploaded. You control how you organize your uploads!
- If you upload directly to an album or tag and a duplicate is detected, the original photo from your Account is added to that album or tag for you. The duplicate will not be uploaded. How easy is that?!
Photo de-duplication will make it even easier for you to preserve memories in your FOREVER Account and share them with everyone you care about today, tomorrow, and for generations into the future!
1. QUESTION If I edit a photo in FOREVER and then try to re-upload the same photo again, will that second upload be detected as a duplicate?
ANSWER Yes. When you edit photos in FOREVER, you are saving the original photo and the edited version of that photo. With de-dupe, we now make sure you are not uploading another copy of the original.
2. QUESTION I have the same photo stored in multiple albums and multiple tags in my FOREVER Account. Is that photo now counted toward my storage multiple times?
ANSWER No. Photos count toward your storage based on the number of uploads, not the number of albums or tags a single photo is placed in. So, if the photo was uploaded to your account only once and subsequently placed in multiple albums or tags, then it is counted toward your storage only once.
3. QUESTION I have a number of duplicate photos in my FOREVER Account that were uploaded before the de-duplication feature was available. Is there a way to run de-dupe on these photos?
ANSWER No, not at this time. Currently, our de-dupe feature only works on new photo uploads. However, we are exploring new technologies and hope to bring additional dedupe functionality and other organization tools to you in the future.
4. QUESTION If I upload a photo from my phone to both FOREVER and Facebook and subsequently import that photo from Facebook to my FOREVER Account, will de-dupe prevent that photo from coming into my Account a second time?
ANSWER No. Because Facebook fundamentally alters (i.e. compresses) all photos uploaded by its users, de-dupe will NOT prevent that compressed version of your photo from coming into your FOREVER Account. De-dupe will prevent multiple imports of the same photo from Facebook. FOREVER also tags all photos imported from Facebook with a “Facebook” tag, so you can easily manage and organize this compressed content.
5. QUESTION If I add a photo from my computer and then try to upload the same photo from my phone, will de-dupe detect it as a duplicate?
ANSWER Yes. As long as the photo stored on both devices is the same and hasn’t been altered in any way, de-dupe will detect it as a duplicate and will prevent that photo from coming into your Account. (Note: iPhone users may encounter duplicates that are not detected due to the new iPhone HEIC image format. Since these files must be converted to .jpg, there is the potential for the conversion process to produce versions that are not exact matches of one another, and as such, they will not be detected as duplicates.)
6. QUESTION If I upload a photo from FOREVER Historian™ into my FOREVER Account and the original photo from before I uploaded into Historian already exists in my FOREVER Account, will de-dupe detect it?
ANSWER No. Historian adds information to a photo’s metadata, so a photo uploaded from Historian into FOREVER is not an exact duplicate of the original.