- The first step you need to take before you move your Historian™ software to a new computer is to make a backup copy of your memories (called the "vault" for Historian™ 4, or "cabinet" for Historian™ 6) onto an external hard drive. This will allow you to transfer your memories to your new computer!
- To find the location of your memories so that you can make a copy, open Historian™ on your old computer so you can view the location of your vault/cabinet from the Welcome screen. (The first screen you see when you open Historian™). Typically, vaults/cabinets are saved in this location for most Historian™ users: C:\Users\Public\Documents
- Once you have located your vault/cabinet, plug your external hard drive into your old computer and then browse to the location of your memory's folder on your old computer. Once you locate your vault/cabinet, right-click on the folder and click “Copy” and then browse to your external hard drive and click “Paste." (Please note that pasting your vault/cabinet could take several minutes depending on the size.)
- Now that your memories have been copied to your external hard drive, you need to uninstall Historian™ from your old computer.
To uninstall Historian™ on your old computer, go to your Windows Settings then choose Apps. Find Historian™ in your list of Apps and click the “Uninstall” button.
5. Log into FOREVER.com on your new computer and hover over the person icon in the upper right corner of the page, then click “Downloads”.
Installing Historian™ on your New Computer
6. Locate your Historian™ software by using the search bar on the Downloads page.
7. You will see your Historian™ download (and for Historian™ 4 you will also see your activation code listed there).
8. Click the Download button (and for Historian™ 4 also Copy your activation code), then after the file is downloaded to your computer please follow the installation steps.
NOTE: If you are installing Historian™ 4 to a new computer, you also need to install a separate patch to ensure it can connect to the internet so it can be activated. You can get the patch by following the bullet point steps through our help center article HERE.
9. Open Historian™ and complete the activation (for Historian™ 4 you will need your activation code copied from steps 7-8, for Historian™ 6 you only need to log in with your FOREVER account information).
10. If you get an error message stating that you have Historian™ installed on too many machines, email firstname.lastname@example.org so a member of the Support team can help you complete the activation on your new machine.
Opening Your Historian™ Vault/Cabinet on your New Computer
11. Once Historian™ is activated on your new computer, plug the external hard drive into your new computer and in your File Explorer browse to the vault/cabinet file that you’ve copied to the external hard drive (from steps 2-3).
12. Right-click on the memory's folder and choose “Copy” then browse to this location on your new computer C:\Users\Public\Documents and click “Paste”. (Some Historian users prefer to keep their vaults on an external hard drive, and this is perfectly fine, so you can skip this step if you choose.
13. Now that your vault/cabinet folder has been copied over, open Historian™ (CANCEL any prompt to create a new vault/cabinet), and from the Welcome screen click “Open Another Vault” (Historian™ 4) or "Open Another Cabinet" (Historian™ 6).
14. Browse to the location of your vault/cabinet and click the folder once (DO NOT go into the folder), then choose “Select Folder” to open your memories.
If you use the User Dictionary in Historian please follow the steps below:
- If you have created your own User Dictionary please browse to the location
- Historian 4: C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Panstoria\Historian 4 and copy the file called UserDictionary.txt
- Historian 6: C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\FOREVER\Historian 6 and copy the file called UserDictionary.txt
- Please note the AppData is a hidden folder that needs to be hidden.
- Open File Explorer
- Click the View Ribbon
- Check the box in front of Hidden Items
- On the new computer please paste this file in the exact same location as above.