A shadow copy is a backup version that mirrors the vault/cabinet you created in Historian™. You will want to have an external source to keep either your shadow copy or regular vault on—that way, if something were to happen to your computer, your external hard drive copy is still protected.
This means you can either keep your vault/cabinet on your computer and the shadow copy on the external hard drive or vice versa. If your computer does not have space to save your memories then you will want to use two external hard drives, one for the vault/cabinet and one for the shadow copy. Again, we don't want your shadow copy to be saved in the same location as your vault/cabinet in case the device gets lost or damaged.
To set up a shadow copy, you can complete these steps:
- Go to your Media Library inside your vault/cabinet
- From the top you will select the (Historian™ 4) Vault or (Historian™ 6) Cabinet ribbon.
- Click the “Shadow Copy” button and complete the following prompts.
To recover from a shadow copy, you can complete these steps here:
- Open the program and select (Historian™ 4) "Recover a vault" or (Historian™ 6) "Recover cabinet" from the top of the Welcome page.
- Click the three dots next to "New location for the recovered media vault", then navigate to the place you want the recovered vault/cabinet to be stored on either your computer or external hard drive.
- Create a new folder in this location on your computer or external hard drive and click "Select Folder."
- Click on "Use a Shadow Copy" and browse to where your shadow copy is currently saved at. Please make sure you select the entire shadow copy folder, NOT inside the folder.
- Hit OK and let Historian™ process the recovery process.